Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Prom bomb

Circa 1968, courtesy of my mommy....

Bad dates are not a new thing...they've been around for a while.

Having gone to prom with my first "real boyfriend" (now ex-boyfriend) a year earlier I had high expectations for my junior prom. The first go round we drank pink champagne, danced our asses off and stayed out till all hours of the morning. So this year had to be even better, right?

My friends set me up with  a boy named Scott C. to go to the prom junior year of high school. Good looking, nice boy, what could go wrong? Before I accepted, my BFF Pat, asked me to say no so we could go out, use our fake ID's and go to the bars to celebrate. Because that would have been WAY more fun than a blind prom date. But optimistic me said "no" to Pat and yes to the blind prom date (could there be anything worse?)

Bonus points for me because it was my 17th birthday right?

The guy thought his shit didn't stink, posed all night and all my friends ditched me because they didn't like the guy (still trying to figure out why they set me up with him). I powered through, counting the minutes until the end and prayed to the Holy Virgin Mary to get my ass out of there ASAP.

Way back when, we used to wear garters to prom under our dresses (like a bride, right?) and give them to the boy at the end of the night. On this particular night I gave my garter to Scott C at the end of the night and he looked at it and said "So I should add this to my collection, huh?".

OK Mr. Bitchin'.....get over your bad self and take me home. Now.

So I can go drink at the bars with Pat and celebrate my 17th birthday for real.

Mama Lynn

*This is Jeni speaking now......All I can say is thank you for waiting it out mom. Thank you very much. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment